A tummy tuck, also called abdominoplasty, is an extensive procedure that can help to flatten and tone the abdominal area. Women who have had one or more children often benefit most from a tummy tuck, because pregnancy and childbirth can take such a toll on the body. However, anyone with a protruding, sagging abdominal area can be a candidate.
A tummy tuck helps to eliminate sagging skin, tighten stretched muscles, and reduce excess fat in the abdominal area. If you are interested in seeing if you’re a candidate, please call Dr. Douglas Cusick today at 913-661-0202 to schedule your consultation.
View this Procedure in 3D
Benefits of a Tummy Tuck
Some of the main benefits of a tummy tuck include:
- Feel more confident in your body
- Get the extra help you need in taking off those last few inches
- Improve issues that can’t be addressed through healthy diet and regular exercise
- Enjoy the results permanently, as long as you maintain a healthy lifestyle
- Reduce the appearance of stretch marks below the navel
It can be incredibly frustrating to put in the work to get the body you want, only to discover that you can’t reverse sagging skin and no amount of ab workouts will restore your stomach muscles. Plus, it can be nearly impossible to shed your last few inches of stubborn abdominal fat.
A tummy tuck is a great way to finally get the body you want and deserve. While it does leave a relatively long scar, Dr. Cusick is careful to position the scar as low as possible so that it can be hidden by underwear or a bathing suit. Most tummy tuck patients find that their results are well worth the scar.
Candidates for a Tummy Tuck
While most people who seek out tummy tucks are mothers who want to get their pre-baby body back, you don’t need to have had a child to be a candidate. If you have sagging skin, excess fat, or stretched abdominal muscles, you may be a candidate. Often, people who have undergone massive weight loss from bariatric surgery are candidates for a tummy tuck as well.
In order to be a good tummy tuck candidate, you should:
- Be in good overall health
- Be at or near a healthy, stable weight
- Not smoke, or be willing to quit
- Be finished having children
While a tummy tuck will not prevent you from having children in the future, we recommend that you be finished building your family before undergoing one. Pregnancy and childbirth after a tummy tuck can ruin your results, and you may need to undergo revision surgery if you want to regain them.
Recovery After a Tummy Tuck
Immediately after your tummy tuck, you should take some time to rest and recover. We strongly recommend having help around the house and with childcare, as you will not be able to lift anything heavy (including a child) or do any strenuous activity for a few weeks. You should also not care for a child while on prescription medications.
A general timeline for tummy tuck recovery goes something like this:
- Rest and recover for the first few days
- Return to work within the first two to four weeks
- Make sure to walk around as much as you can during your initial recovery, taking care not to overdo it
- Resume light exercise as soon as you feel able
- Resume more strenuous exercise after around 6 weeks, avoiding exercises that strain the abdomen
If you have any questions or concerns during your recovery, please don’t hesitate to contact our Leawood office. We will do everything we can to ensure you have a smooth recovery.
Schedule Your Tummy Tuck Consultation
If you’re interested in learning more about a tummy tuck procedure, schedule your consultation with Dr. Cusick today by calling 913-661-0202. We serve patients in Leawood, KS and other nearby areas of Kansas City.