Motherhood can be one of the most rewarding experiences of your life, but also one of the most demanding. Your dedication to your children can come at the expense of your own sleep, nutrition, and exercise. The sacrifices you make as a mother can also make it challenging to regain your pre-pregnancy body. You may feel like you have to live with the way you look.
Dr. J. Douglas Cusick feels differently. That’s why he offers mommy makeovers. As a board-certified plastic surgeon with more than 20 years of experience, Dr. Cusick is dedicated to helping his patients look and feel better. He serves Leawood and surrounding areas of Kansas City. Call (913) 661-0202 today to schedule a consultation.
What to Expect
How Can Pregnancy Affect My Body?
Pregnancy, childbirth, and breastfeeding can impact your body in a variety of ways, including:
- Loss of breast volume
- Sagging breasts
- Excess fat and loose skin around your abdomen
- Stretched or torn abdominal muscles
- Increase in your body’s fat content
- Stretch marks in the abdominal region
You can reverse some of these changes through diet and exercise, but those often aren’t enough even if you do have time for them. A mommy makeover can be the culmination of the hard work you put in to recover the figure you had before you became a mother.
Am I a Mommy Makeover Candidate?
Ideal mommy makeover candidates should be in good overall health. If you want long-lasting results, you should also be fit and near your target body weight. Additionally, if you smoke, you should plan to quit before surgery and throughout your recovery.
Beyond those qualifications, you may be a mommy makeover candidate if you’d like to address one or more of the following issues:
- Enlarged areolas
- Loose, deflated, or asymmetrical breasts
- Visible C-section scars
- Damaged or stretched abdominal muscles
During your consultation, you should also tell Dr. Cusick if you plan to have more children in the future. While a mommy makeover won’t harm your pregnancy, putting your body through the stresses of childbearing again can negatively impact your cosmetic results. Dr. Cusick recommends that women wait to undergo a mommy makeover until after they’re finished having kids.
What Procedures are Included in a Mommy Makeover?
Every mommy makeover, like every mom, is unique. During your consultation, Dr. Cusick will discuss the changes your body experienced during pregnancy and the outcomes you’d like to achieve. Then, he’ll build a customized set of procedures around your goals and needs.
Your mommy makeover may include one of the following:
- Breast augmentation, to help restore lost breast volume, give you fuller, larger, more symmetrical breasts, and increase self-confidence.
- Breast lift, to address sagging and restore a more youthful breast appearance.
- Breast reduction, to improve the appearance of stretched, sagging breasts.
- Liposuction, to target excess fat deposits that are resistant to diet and exercise.
- Tummy tuck, to repair stretched or damaged abdominal muscles and remove excess skin from the abdomen.
- Labiaplasty, to correct any vaginal damage you may have suffered during pregnancy and childbirth.
Recovery After a Mommy Makeover
The specific aspects of your recovery will depend on the procedures that made up your mommy makeover. Dr. Cusick will provide you with aftercare instructions that you should follow closely.
In general, you’ll want to avoid exercise and strenuous activities for about four to six weeks, and your final results may not be apparent for three to six months.
Schedule Your Kansas City Mommy Makeover Consultation Today
Dr. Cusick is dedicated to providing a comfortable, professional, and rewarding experience to his patients. He serves Leawood and nearby areas of Kansas City. Call (913) 661-0202 today to set up a consultation.